Driving under the stars or maneuvering through bustling city streets, your car's exterior lights play a vital role in keeping you safe and enhancing your driving experience. Ensuring that all your lights are in working order is crucial not only for your own visibility but also for the safety of others sharing the road. From the dazzling headlights to the humble turn signals, here's your guide to testing and maintaining your car's exterior lights.
- Headlights High and Low: Start by turning on your headlights. Walk around your car to ensure that both the high beams and low beams are functioning. Dimly lit or flickering headlights can hinder your vision and confuse other drivers.
- Brightening Up the Turn: Activate your turn signals one at a time while observing both the front and rear of your vehicle. Remember to test both the left and right signals. Rapid blinking or no blinking at all could indicate a burnt-out bulb or a faulty flasher relay.
- Shine Bright with Brake Lights: With the help of an assistant or by backing up to a reflective surface, press the brake pedal to illuminate your brake lights. Confirm that both sides light up simultaneously and shine brightly. If one brake light is dim or not working, it's time for a replacement.
- Reverse into Clarity: Shift your gear into reverse and have a friend observe the backup lights. These lights help indicate your intentions to others and improve visibility while reversing at night.
- Don't Forget the Hazards: Engage your hazard lights to ensure all bulbs flash in unison. If you notice uneven flashing or a light that doesn't illuminate, it's time for closer inspection.
- Keeping It Clear: While not lights themselves, clean and clear lenses are essential for optimal light output. Regularly clean your exterior light lenses and check for any cracks or damage that might be obstructing the light.
What to Look Out For:
- Dim or flickering lights
- Rapid or uneven blinking
- Lights that don't illuminate
- Uneven brightness between the left and right side
- Cracked or damaged lenses
Regularly testing and maintaining your car's exterior lights is a simple yet impactful way to enhance your safety and that of others on the road. Burnt-out bulbs can easily be replaced, ensuring you're always ready to tackle the day or night with confidence.
A well-lit car is a safer car, so make it a part of your routine to give your lights a thorough check. If you discover any issues beyond simple bulb replacements, don't hesitate to seek the expertise of the team at Jesse's Garage European Auto Repair.